Monday, October 10, 2011

If I were…

If I were more than thirty years younger, I could live much more differently here in Vancouver. I could act more bravely without caring about failures, especially in making deeper relationships with other people to know more about them, whether they are men or women, who I am attracted. On the other hand, if I were even so, I could not enjoy the life nearly as much as I do at present with the maturity I have developed until today. I might feel difficulty just as I experienced in chaos in my youth, even if I were only much younger. I would not like to repeat or remind the ugliness I had in my young days. Life is full of ugliness from some aspects. We are living hiding some of them. The ugliest part is the desire for eternal life or rejuvenation. 

Gilgamesh wanted to gain eternal life, but failed. Then, instead, he was going to be given something as “the
 customary present” to regain youth and strength. However, he failed again, and he realized he had nothing
 but to build his monument as the sign of his life. As Gilgamesh did, countless people in power have left
a lot of monumental assets in the world such as Pyramids in Egypt, Great Walls in China, a lot of castles in
 Japan, and beautiful flower gardens in Canada. All these monuments look like the physical forms of these desires.

People enjoy travelling to see them or making money from them under the name of World Heritages or
national treasures etc. The desire of long-living or anti-aging is basically a source of energy to develop our
ideas. Without these desire, we could not have developed our cultures and technologies. We are surrounded
 with the works of desires of human beings piled in centuries. We won’t stop producing from our desires.  

Uta-napishti gained immortality by the gods as a result of survival from the Deluge. How can we gain eternal
 life? For example, Buddha, Muhammad, and Jesus can be said to have eternal life, because they have helped
a lot of people survive from a various points of views. It is true that we, ordinary people, can’t live eternally as
 the story shows in the end. Instead, I think we have to interpret the eternal life differently. Everyone can’t always
 leave his property as the rich man does physically, but everyone can show how he has lived his life to
 the people following him by living his life proudly. If his life should encourage them to survive in their difficult
 situations, it could be remembered in their minds and continue to live long as a life worth living.     

2 comments:

  1. I think the past is not as ugly as you think. the past created the person who you are now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this very reflective post on Gilgamesh, Tetsuro.
    --
    Olivia, that is a very interesting comment!

    ReplyDelete