Sunday, October 30, 2011

Diary 1


I was invited to Halloween Jack-0’-Lantern carving by the daughter of the landowner. She is a very lovely eighteen-year girl. She kindly expected me to contact with a part of Western culture. I liked this kind of activity.

We got in the car with her parents. The car driven by her mother arrived at the Kerrisdale Public Centre soon. There were no participants except for us yet; we were the first to arrive. While some women were preparing for the event, a few families entered the room one after another. There were five long tables covered with paper in the hall. On the desk at the wall, there were some sheets of paper with typical designs such as bats, cats, ghosts or skeletons. We could choose some among them and get photocopies of them.

What I was interested in first were the tools for the carving. I satisfied myself that Canadians had invented their specific tools for making it easier and enjoyable. Every culture has developed its own specific tools as we can see in the ethnic cuisines.

We chose two bigger sized pumpkins. Each family was allowed to use two ones. I had had an idea of a bat as my design; however, I found there it was too simple. I changed it into putting two bats diagonally. First, we had to cut out the top of the pumpkin. I cut it into a star shape, but the size of the star was too small to take  pumpkin seeds and other stuff easily out of the top!

Anyway, I enjoyed my first experience a lot like a little child.  

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! You always look like you have lots of fun in Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the bat, Tetsuro! I'm glad you enjoyed carving your first jack-o-lantern!

    ReplyDelete