Monday, December 5, 2011

Diary 3

I was invited to Halloween dinner by my landlady. She and her husband wanted me to experience children's activities in the Halloween night. During having dinner, a group of children from neighbourhood visit the houses to say "Treat or trick!". We welcomed seven or eight groups during the dinner, which were totally more than twenty children. Among the groups, there were teenagers who asked for canned food for Food Bank instead of asking for candy. I had listened to the lecture about Food Bank in the Friday workshop at ELI. The children were dressed up for a various characters, which made me enjoyable. Their parents were walking with them and enjoying watching them apart from them and sometimes instructed them what to do. They had spent so much for their children's clothes for this time of the year. In this areas (Dunbar, Vancouver), I feel strongly that people in this area (Dunbar, Vancouver) have tried to keep and develop their  community more friendly and comfortablly. My landlady's family, who are from diffeent culture, also try to get involved in the community. After dinner, we walked around the houses which were decolated humourously. People were dressed up in scaring clothes and making tricks  for children. They were talking happily until late at night. I had only known the facts about Hallooween from books or media so far, but I was lucky and happy to know it directly here.

No comments:

Post a Comment